Thursday, May 19, 2011

From LiveJournal 4/2/09

My favorite part of the morning is walking into the empty store.  I knock on the glass and wait patiently until Mildred, the morning manager, comes to let me in through the front.  I always peer inside as I'm waiting and imagine that it's my home, that everything inside is mine.  I smile contently to myself and sip my tea while giving a little wave to Mildred.  She's not a morning person and rarely cracks a smile before 10am.  I , on the other hand, could not be happier when those large doors swing open and the light scent of...well, richness to be honest, makes it's way to my nostrils.  
I breathe it in deeply and give a small sigh.  I love this place.  
"Morning, Jude," says Mildred.  "You know the drill.  Get to it, please.  We have an appointment at 9:30."  
Mildred disappears into her office to start the morning's conference calls.  It gives me time to linger in the darkness with the sun beaming in through the street.  I graze my fingers across the displays as I slowly walk toward the back.  
Damn.  
Mildred has turned on the lights.  The room is bright with flourescence.  The crystal no longer sparkles naturally but shines brightly through the display cases.  
I clock in and stash my clutch in a locker.  Mildred has her office door cracked open.  She has put her call on speakerphone so she can take notes on the nationwide numbers of the day.

No comments: